Sunday, September 14, 2008

Companarismo


Hey, guys! How was your Sunday? I heard it's been pretty rainy in Indiana. Did any of you go to the hog roast at St. Mark? Did you have any visitors in your Sunday School classes or new kids in school, this week? If you did, will you write me and tell me about it? You can ask your parents to help you leave a comment on this blog. I'd love to hear about it! Do you remember how I told you how proud I was of Berenice and Silene, last week? Well, this week I was even MORE proud of Bere than before!

Today we had our big "companerismo Sunday" which means "fellowship Sunday." Once a month we have church at somebody's house and then share lunch, together, afterwards. Do you remember how I told you that I'd invited my friends who sell fruits and veggies in the market? Well, the parents couldn't come, but Blanca, Sasha, and Fernando came, along with their 7 year old cousin (whose name I never really mastered)! So this morning I was a single mother of 4. As soon as we got to church, though, Berenice came over to say hi and ended up playing with them all afternoon! They ate lunch together, chased each other around the yard, and had lots and lots of fun! I don't think they talked about Jesus very much, but I'm sure my visitors felt His love for them through Berenice and the other people at the church. One time, though, they made me a little nervous. Blanca was playing volleyball with some of the teenagers, and Bere was playing with Sasha under a big tree. But where were Fernando and their cousin? I walked around the whole house and couldn't find them! Finally, I went over to the tree where the girls were playing, and asked Sasha where her little brother was. She and Bere burst out laughing and pointed straight up. I looked above my head, and there they were up in the tree! I think I'm going to try and tell them more about Jesus, soon, so please pray for them and their parents, that they would understand how much He loves them and ask Him to forgive their sins and be in charge of their lives.

After church, I came home and made a dessert for my small group, changed into my exercise clothes, went running at the park, came home again, wrapped a birthday present in tin foil and decorated it with permanent markers because I forgot to buy wrapping paper, yesterday, and stores are always closed on Sundays, changed into my party clothes, and went to one of my students' birthday parties. It was really fun! A few months ago, I made some of my kids a CD with different songs in English. When I got to the party, the girls were all dancing to my CD! They were SO cute, so I took some video of them to show you. Berenice is the girl in blue, on the right, and Naia is wearing the pink shirt, on the right. We had to leave the party, early, because I the girls were coming over to my apartment for small group, but that was ok, because it was pretty cold. 3 of my friends ended up coming for small group, and they just left. We decided we're going to read Luke 24- Acts 6 for this week.

Whew! What a fun day! I'm so thankful for all of my wonderful friends in Paraguay. Thanks for praying for them. Tonight I'm also feeling very thankful that yesterday was Saturday :)




2 comments:

Breuer Adventures said...

Hi Alyssa,

Yes, we went to the hog roast. Even though it was pouring rain we had a great time. There was even an inflatable slide.
Last night we started spanish class. Adam is teaching the class and Dino and his sister, Sarah, are helping.
We will be praying for your friends and for you.
The videos were great fun!! I am glad you are spreading country line dancing around the planet!

The Breuers

paraguayalyssa said...

Thanks, Breuers! Good to hear from you!!! As for Rascal Flats, I'd thought "Backwards" was funny but tame/wholesome. Can you imagine my horror/ amusement when I saw little Naia (7, in the pink) mouth "C-R-A-P" ? I was so proud.

Good luck with the Spanish class!

Alyssa