Friday, September 5, 2008

wonderful suely



It's been a good day. It didn't start out very well because I was lazy and stayed in bed an hour after my alarm rang, so I didn't get to start the day with my devotions. Grrr. I hate it when I do that. So I got up late and french braded my hair so I'd get to school on time. Paraguayans love plain braids, but most people, here, don't know how to french braid! Can you believe it? So when I french braid my own hair, they just think it's the coolest thing ever! Anyway- I got to school just before the bell rang. Since we'd taken our huge exam the day before, we did fun art projects in 2nd and 3rd grades. Then I went on a field trip with the principle, a few other teachers, and the 6th and 7th graders to see our school's dance teacher and my good friend, Suely, in a really amazing dance performance. She's been taking dance classes ever since she was 4 years old! So she did something called a "tesina" where she made up a dance for 15 different people, and designed the costumes and scenery, too (similar to a senior recital or art exhibit, in the US). Suely did an incredible job. I was so proud of her! Oh, I love that girl. She is absolutely beautiful, inside and out. She wants to be a counselor so that she can help other women who are hurting or need advice. She didn't live with either of her parents, when she was a little girl, because they both thought there were other things in life more important than taking care of their daughter. So she was very lonely, growing up. But this helped her come to know God as her loving father and mother, and now she has a very close relationship with God. It's so hard to understand why God lets bad things happen to us. But Suely's example shows me that when we go through hard times we can either get mad at God, and then become bitter and mean, or we can let Him comfort us, and then we will become beautiful, kind, and strong. Suely is like that: beautiful, kind, and strong. I'm so honored to be her friend.




After school, I took long nap and then spent the entire evening in bed! I just sat there for hours, reading, praying, journaling, and talking on the phone to my sister, Danielle, and friend. Eric (via skype). It was so nice. I usually have 2 girls who come over to study English on Friday nights, but they never came. And that was fine with me. I've been feeling a little sad, lately, and I really just wanted to be alone, anyways. I called them and send them text messages, and they never called me back, so I just enjoyed having the night off! I ended up reading through the whole gospel of John! I hadn't meant to- I'd meant to just read one part. But one thing led to the next, and I had the evening free, so why not? It was really good for my soul. Anyway, I think I've just gotten really tired, which has made me not want to do anything, which has led to feeling guilty and badly about myself. But last night I told my sister and Eric that I was a little sad. Sometimes when we're feeling sad it really helps to be honest with people who love us and ask them to pray for us. And tomorrow's Saturday, so I'll get to rest. That's something else that helps when we're sad or grumpy. My mom always told me when I was upset about something, at night, that everything would be better in the morning. She was so smart! So even though I've been a little bit sad, I know that God will help me to feel better.

1 comment:

Fiona L Cooper said...

Hello Alyssa, great blog, why did I not know that it existed? I'm so pleased I've discovered it now.

Love from Fiona